The Bankster- Book Review!

Tuesday, December 25, 2012
The Bankster - another great book by Ravi Subramanian! I remember I had read his first book - If God was a banker - way back in 2007 and I really loved it, thus when I saw this book I was too excited to read it. Another reason for picking up this book was that the cover page shows The Wall Street Journal called him "the John Grisham of Banking"! :O Now I have to admit that I have not read the rest of his books, and I came to know very recently that he has written three more books, so the John Grisham title quite frankly shocked me! 



Anyway coming back to this book, the story is intertwined with three short stories. The main story deals with a bank - GB2, a bank in Mumbai; and the rest of the happenings take  place at Angola, Kerala, and Vienna forming a mystery. The author shows the story of people at the bank, the politics and dirty business taking place in these organisations, how they unravel the biggest scam just by looking into some faulty bank accounts. Now having zero knowledge in the field of finance and banking operations, I still understood this book completely; this shows how well written the story was and how simply he has explained the concepts of banking. But at some points, I felt that he was dragging the concept way too far or he consider the audience to be pretty dumb. For instance, he has explained the functioning of iCloud and that's perfectly fine as it was required for the climax but he explained it in one-and-half pages! :O And after that, a dumb girl asked him, "Can you please summarize it for me again?" FTW! 

Another problem I had and I don't know if you will agree with me or not, but I really don't like "yaar" written at the end of every sentence in a conversation! Yeah I know some authors do use Italian or Spanish words in between their stories but I think that unless you are showing some character as totally Hindi-speaking, you don't really require to use Hindi phrases in between lines!

Overall its a good mystery novel and the author has done justice to it. And yeah, the "John Grisham" title is suitable only to some extent. I would give this novel a 3.5 out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...