When She Smiled: Book Review

Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Title: When She Smiled
Author:  Ritoban Chakrabarti
Genre: Romantic
Price: Rs 215
Number of pages: 226
Publisher: Notion Press; First edition (2015)
ISBN-10: 9384878251
ISBN-13: 978-9384878252


The Blurb:
Mrityunjoy Roy is a fifteen year old Bengali who has spent the last ten years of his life growing up in Shimla. While his family is completely academically oriented, he wants something more.
Finally he meets Akanksha in school, who turns his world upside down with her gorgeous looks and mind boggling smile.
As fate would have it, she joins his tuition, and thus begins the torrid year of puppy love, romance, heartbreak, tragedy, and self discovery.
Set among the scenic Shivalik hills of Shimla when mobile phones and internet were non-existent, this is a story of how an average young teenager comes to terms with his destiny.

About the Author:
Ritoban is an entrepreneur, author, internet marketer, and bathroom singer. He ran an internet marketing company for five years, before trying his hand at writing. His first novel, When She Smiled, a coming-of-age fiction released in 2014. He is an He is a freedom fanatic and an avid traveller, and believes in a life without boundaries.

My Review:
This review was long pending as I finished the book a while ago, but due to my preoccupation with so much these days, I am presenting to you a very delayed review. Now, I chose this book as I like reading books by first-time authors as the freshness they bring to the plot is amazing. The story is set in Shimla, about whom the author has explained beautifully. The description just made me run back to Shimla and enjoy the snowfall. The story is about a teenage boy who falls in love or better I call it "puppy love" with a girl. Now, shit happens and so do heartbreaks. The rest if I disclose, then I will be spoiling the plot for you.  However, the time he has described takes me back to the school days, which makes it so nostalgic. The fun days, the peer pressure, the study pressure from parents, the crushes, the heartbreaks it all came rushing back to mind. You can actually relate to Roy at so many instances, except when he starts stalking his love! :P The characters in the story are relatable- I surely knew one such person each during our school days. 

The plot, however, is not that strong, and nor is the climax. I read stories for twists and turns, but a perfect climax is a Must! This book lacked that perfectness. Also, the language and grammar aren't good too. The language is lucid, but not impressive and there are a lot of grammatical errors. I would recommend better editing for his next book. Also, at times, he is too descriptive with the scenarios. I literally, flipped through pages at more than one event. However, the author has put in an honest effort and has poured his emotions in a most realistic way, which deserves credit. 

All in all it is a one time read for me. Good option if you want to pass your time.

My Rating: 2 stars out of 5!

This review is a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...